Yesterday I rode up through the farms north of Heddesheim toward Viernheim. I decided to try to get to the small lake/pond in the Viernheim Wald Park. The wind was mainly from the north so I rode into the wind so I'd have it with me coming back. Good plan. The ride on the east side of Viernheim was not very nice because it is all industry buildings and noisy streets. I did make it to the pond/lake but it isn't one you can swim in and I really wanted to find some place to cool off because it was a hot and humid ride. There was a public pool on the other side of the road from the pond but it charges 3.50 euros to get in so I decide not to try that. The pond had a nice path around it and it's usual nice characters of ducks and a nice playground. I enjoyed seeing a few people with their dogs who let them go play in the water. There seems to be a lot of fish in this small lake.
After this I thought I'd head for the Waidsee that is close to Wienheim. This is another man made lake that was created in 1966-1970 to get the rock to make the highway A5. They have these water PELICAN s (P hosphat-Eli K-minations ompact-An) that help clean the water by reducing the phosphorus emissions. These PELICANS are solar and wind powered and seem to be doing a good job. I've ridden by the lake many times and have wondered what it would be like to go into the swimming beach there. I knew it would cost me 3.30 euros to get into it but I really wanted to see what they have to offer and I was so HOT and sweaty!
The Waidsee was a very nice lake to swim in and had great facilities. I think it is worth the 3.30 to have a nice place like this to go swim. There are lockers, showers, changing rooms snack bar and restaurant and a big outdoor pool in addition to the lake and park. The lake water was a little chilly at first but I got in without too many screams and enjoyed the fresh water and getting cooled off. The water seems clear and clean and smelled great. Then I sat on the grass and read for awhile. This was a weekday so it wasn't very crowded but I would guess it gets bad on a hot weekend because as I was leaving around 3:30 a LOT more people where showing up from schools and getting off work.
On the road close to home I have frequently passed a old man in his horse & buggy. Today I got the camera out soon enough to get a snapshot of him.
I rode a little over 30 miles.
![]() |
| The pair had 6 babies |
![]() |
| These babies came from across the pond to where I was hoping for a hand out but I didn't bring any today. |
![]() |
| Waidsee lake park |
![]() |
| On the opposite side of this lake there is a small boat marina for sail boats. Also there is scuba diving and fishing available. I saw photos of catfish as big as humans. |













No comments:
Post a Comment